Wednesday, April 6, 2011

what a feeling.

Now there is less than one month before I am finished with law school exams and final assignments. I am brimming with anticipation, though I know this just means that the bar exam studying and taking will be coming up soon.

This examination preparation and examination are tearing quite a hole in my wallet:
Bar/Bri examination preparation: $3,842.50 (and this is with a $550 discount, but also with a $250 deposit)
Bar Examination: $712.00 (this includes a laptop fee; now that's ludicrous.)
Moral Character Determination $476

Let's not forget a couple of other fees that are necessary for California bar licensure: the registration for the State Bar and the Multistate Professional Responsibility Exam.

Putting all these fees together puts one above $5,000 for the ability to practice law in California. In addition to these fees, one must endure a grueling three day examination. I must say that I am not tickled pink at the prospect of this summer's events.

After the bar exam, however, I will have some some exciting changes. In August, I will be moving to New York and will move into Hayes's and my first apartment together. I will have that whole month to run errands, buy things for our place, and cook dinner every night. (What a lucky boyfriend I have!) I hope to find many worthy recipes to provide nutrition involving plenty of summer produce, taste, and variety. Think color with all of this! I thoroughly enjoy cooking, but it will be even better cooking for two and having a lot of time to devote to the efforts. Hopefully, I will get suggestions for tried and true culinary concoctions, other than engagement chicken (http://www.glamour.com/magazine/2006/07/engagement-chicken).

This fall, I will begin my journey into attorney-hood as a judicial law clerk. I think it will be a great opportunity to utilize my research and writing skills while getting to watch lawyering in action and get the judges' insights. It will be a great experience to live in New York until fall 2012 and then make my way back to my beloved California.

In less than one month, my life will inexplicably change. I will move from the city I called home for the last three years, have some great quality time with my mother while studying my butt off for the bar exam, go on a couple of amazing trips, and take huge steps geographically, career-wise, and relationally. Though this year has been a tough one so far, I am constantly reminded of the blessings that I have been given. In this season of Lent, I am particularly mindful of just how loved and blessed I truly am.


peeking out of the wilderness with rosy tinted glasses.
no, really, just a fun picture from my last law prom, a huge indicator that law school is coming to a close.

1 comment:

MARGARET said...

Hahaha love the last picture. And YAY! You're almost done. :) The money you've spent (though crazy) will be worth it later.