Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Perfect Pair

I have size 5 feet, 6 if I'm wearing knee high boots, which are my newest fashion obsession. Not only are my feet small, but they are also wide. This makes it a huge hassle to find the perfect pair of shoes, the shoes that make you want to go out for the night just so you have an excuse to wear them. And let me tell you, when I find that irresistible pair of shoes, those beautiful black leather heels that fit like a dream . . . I will no doubt buy them. These shoes almost always catch my eye when I am not even on the hunt for a fabulous pair. Regardless of the price (well, frankly, I am not browsing at Manolo Blahnik anyways), I will buy these shoes. Why? It's not everyday that you find something that you absolutely will treasure and have gratification that substantially outweighs any sense of regret over your purchase. In fact, it is a relatively rare occurrence that you will find that ideal match and Lord knows, having buyer's remorse is much less offensive than regretting not fighting for that flawless fit.

We always hear the saying that when you go shopping specifically for something you need, you never find it. When on a mission for that item that fits x, y, and z qualities, you are almost always bound to feel cheated, or worse, disappointed in the available selection. You will make concessions because of the necessity of having that thing, negotiations you would not have made otherwise except given the dire circumstances. Inevitably, you end up returning, exchanging, or hanging the dirty little secret in your closet after one or maybe two uses.

What I'm trying to say is, when you find that perfect (fill in the blank) for you, you do not let it go. You fight for it and know that at the end of the day, you have got yourself something worthwhile instead of letting it slip away in the hopes of finding an adequate alternative when you actually need it. Being blissful by surprise is much better than being blase by default, any day of the week. So, what really is stopping us from taking the plunge for that perfect pair when it comes our way?

No comments: