Saturday, July 11, 2009

Embarking on a new journey

I have made the decision to train for and fundraise for the Walt Disney World half marathon on January 10, 2010.

Given that I have asthma and have never been an intense runner, this is a huge deal for me. It is something I have wanted to do for a long time and the fact that I will be helping a great cause (research for blood cancers through the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society) amplifies how important this challenge is to me. I have been lucky not to lose any family members to cancer, but know of so many friends of friends, family friends, and the like who have lost the battle to different kinds of cancers. Making progress in research for cancer is so important and with government funding declining in virtually every area, it is vital that we don't let research become stagnant.

I will be updating this blog from time to time regarding my training and my goals. I hope that you will be along for the ride and will help support me with all of this. Here is the link to my fundraising site: http://pages.teamintraining.org/ma/wdw10/sliuie
Please share what you can with the cause and also share this link with those who would be interested in becoming active for the cause.

On a lighter note, a quote from "How I Met Your Mother":
Barney: Here's how you run a marathon. Step 1: You start running. There's no Step 2.

(If you've seen the episode, you know that Barney fails miserably. He finishes the marathon, but then is pretty much incapacitated because he never trained for the event.)

No comments: