Saturday, July 4, 2009

Dip-Dyed Sky

July 4th marks Independence Day and is conveniently just about the halfway marker of my summer break.

This year, I watched the fireworks display in our state's capital, Sacramento. I have always been a huge sucker for fireworks, which bring me awe and delight. For 2009, fireworks displays have been cut or downsized in many cities due to the weak economy. California definitely did not skimp this year and it seemed like it brought a sense of renewed hope and optimism for the future of our state, which is at a pretty dismal point right now.

Usually, I gaze up at the fireworks giddily...today was not an exception, but I also felt oddly more connected to our country than I have before. I shed a few tears when I realized all the legal and literal battles that our countrymen have endured to get America where it is today. Sadly, there are many many more battles to be fought. California, in particular, has to fight for its economy, its schools, and of course, its citizens' right to marry.

I think I see now more than ever that we all have to fight for something...and I am still struggling to find my purpose and my fight.

What's your battle?

No comments: